Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Reconciling my roots...

At times in my career I have been asked to conduct interviews with possible new employees. I often choose to begin the interview with introducing myself and explaining my position with the company. I follow up that brief synopsis with the invitation to "Tell me a little bit about yourself." It is interesting how most people use their "home" as a anchoring point of the conversation. Many times this point of reference is in fact their place of origin, or place they grew up as a child. This fascinates me due to the fact I also use this line of progression when describing myself. Why do I continue to identify myself with a place and lifestyle that is going on 7 years removed now?

Since I moved from Kentucky I have graduated college, become a fixture at my current company, and have regrounded my faith. My horizons have broadened significantly and I am far from the young lad that ventured from a small town into the metroplex that is DFW. Yet I still believe that there is some of that small town kid inside me and interestingly enough, I take great comfort in that fact. I often long for a simple life, one not mired by the complexities of today, but instead joyous in the peace around me. It would be nice to just sit out on a porch for a while on a swinging bench and enjoy the afternoon. Yet I find myself constantly being pulled further away from this ideal.

Much of my life is dedicated to the company for whom I work, and much of my off hours I concern myself with thoughts pertaining to the future of the company. I don't stop to see the sun go down, I don't listen to the rolling thunder of rain showers, I don't visit the countryside. I live amongst concrete and iron, and I'm complacent in this fact. Yet sometimes I catch myself looking into a glorious morning sun. I am caught by the soft whisper of and evening breeze. I see the joy in a childs face looking upon his father. At those times I reconnect with my desires and wants for a simpler life. I hope that one day my current pursuits will afford me these luxuries and the time to indulge in them, but until then, I will continue to drift from my roots as I fall deeper and deeper into the malaise of city life.

No comments: