Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Lost Season 4, Episodes 3 & 4

Hey Everyone:

Don't think I forgot one of my favorite shows on television! As far as personal life goes, things feel like they've been moving in molasses (sp) lately. But on with the show!

So I wasn't a big fan of Episode 3. I really felt like they were just repositioning characters, and using the episode as a filler. They wanted to reveal Sayid as one of the Oceanic 6 and show him working with Ben. They wanted to get Locke's group to the barraks and I guess make the switch of Charlotte and Miles for story reasons. However, nothing really happened to get me excited. Although I really like Sayid episodes, the main plot line was a bit dissappointing.

It is amazing how Sayid so often gets so much right when dealing with people on the Island, but then he always seems to fail at reading people when off the Island. He had to shoot his fellow interogator in Iraq, he couldn't tell the restaurant owner was up to know good when he got captured for torturing his wife, and now he can't tell his girl is playing him. It's quite the paradox, but Sayid almost always seems more Lost off the Island than when he is on it. Which is starting to appear as a common theme.

Because in Episode 4 we get to see Kate off the Island as well, and guess what things aren't going well for her. Maybe she should have stayed on the island, then she wouldn't have had to deal with the whole trial thing. On the Island she seemed to have things well worked out, except for the should I hook up with Jack or Sawyer thing. I enjoyed Episode 4 much more because some intriguing things happened in the main storyline, which is really what I want to know about. The scene with Ben and Locke in the beginning was a great throwback to the fun scenes between the two in Season 2.

Overall, there are some really good things happening on the show, and hopefully next week we will see the Helicopter reach the Freighter. We are probably in for a big surprise when we get to the freighter indeed. But here are some questions to linger on:

1) Seriously, what are the Others doing right now? Are they really afraid to come and get Ben? Does Ben want to be captured? Do they just not know what's going on? Are they really afraid of a physisist, ghostbuster, pilot, and excavationist?

2) I think the concept of Miles wanting money was interesting. But why is him "knowing where Ben is" so important. They have made it clear that names have a very powerful trait on the island, especially last names. Miles didn't want his revealed by Daniel. Now it appears being able to physically come in contact with others might carry weight as well. Does the person looking for Ben have some special ability, maybe like Walt? Also if knowing names is so important do you think Benjamin Linus is really Ben's name? Also why did he only want 3.2 million? That seems like a rather small sum to come all that way for.

3) I've heard some interesting things about Naomi not being dead. Apparently there is an issue with her eyes being closed in an earlier scene and open later with no explanation. Although I'm not so sure I buy into the not dead theory, I don't really see why they are keeping her body so apparent on the show. Usually they just bury people and move on. Is she going to be coming back in the show? Is that why they haven't buried her as a plot item? Eventually dead bodies aren't something you want just lying around.

4) I've also heard an interesting concept that heading in different directions (coordinates) may cause variations in the time discrepancies. That is why it is so important for Walt and Michael to head in one direction, and the copter to do the same. If you get off coordinates you start jumping further ahead or less far ahead. As a result you will miss the right point in time that you are aiming for. If so, it creates some unique opportunities relating to time distortion when leaving and entering the island, which would allow Ben to be very difficult to find if he came on and off the island for various reasons.

So these are just some of my thoughts. I look forward to another week, as I hope you do too! I really would like a Sun and Jin episode this week, but I'm not so sure they are not going the way of Rose and Bernard. That makes me sad :(

Have a great day.

No comments: