Monday, February 04, 2008

Super Tuesday Looms...

Over the past few years, I've become more aware of the general political landscape. As most know, I grew up in Kentucky which is primarily a Democratic area in the whole. Not East Coast Democrat, but the kind that inhabits a large section of the Midwest. A type of folk that believe in positive family values and the worth of the "blue collar" worker. Some might not call it the most sophisticated area of the country, but I always thought it was one of the most down to earth.

Anyway, as I moved down to Texas and studied business, I can not deny that my political leanings have shifted more toward a conservative approach than in the past. However, I would still vote Democrat if the right moderate came along and offered a positive and intelligent vision for the future. Add to all this my Catholic background and appeal to social justice, and I think I'm right in the foundation of the "independent" voter.

Yet as I listen to all the pundits, I only become more distressed at the failure our next President will likely become. Currently I can't see any large positives coming from either Obama or Clinton as they support a rediculously horrible plan of socialized medicine that will all but bankrupt the country. I really think all candidates for office should at least have to take one class in modern economic theory to see how horrible these types of ideas are for a capitalistic society. Add in their feelings toward the slaughter of thousands of innocent children every day with their pro-death policies on abortions, and all I can see is a moral vacuum. Two people playing off their racial or sexual identity promising change, but in reality not providing any. For all those out there keep in mind that "change" can be both positive and negative. And next time you hear the word change maybe you should ask what they are going to change. I don't want to live in the USSR, but that would be change.

And then I look at the Republican side, and alas there are few choices there as well. Although I think they probably have a little more economic sense than the other two contenders, that doesn't change the old saying. "Follow the money." I don't see either McCain or Romney being any more frugal than Bush or Clinton previously. Add in the fact that neither would provide any significant draw down to troop levels in the next few years and you are looking at a budget deficit through surely 2011. Furthermore, I'm not quite sure that either of these contenders have any better idea about how to solve immigration issues or inner city violence than the Democratic contenders.

So I guess I'm really just a moderate without a place to go overall. How can we continue to think there will be any semblance of change when all 4 major candidates are backed by the same major corporation, Goldman Sachs? That's right folks, a financial company owns all of these candidates even the golden boy Obama.

I sometimes wish there was a candidate that would follow some basic concepts:

1) Commit to forming a cabinet that included 30% Republican, 30% Democrat, 40% Independant.
2) Pass a truly balanced budget. Or better yet, a budget where we made money at the end of the year. I do it personally, so can they.
3) Promote the family. Make it easier on the working majority by providing access to education, and quality jobs. Stabilize the family unit, and put a focus on saving the family unit.
4) Bring back a national identity. Realize there is something positive about being uniquely American, and embrace that.

If someone did that. I imagine they would win in a landslide. But when all your candidates on both sides are owned by special interest groups, the good of America will always come second.

I'll probably end up deciding on the following issues:

1) Economic policy: Anyone who supports socialized medicine probably has a hard time adding.
2) The Sanctity of Life.
3) Someone that doesn't buy into the falsehood of "man-made" global warming.

But I think I'll wait for November and sit out this very sad "Dog and Pony" show they call a primary.

No comments: