Sunday, March 01, 2009

Sorting through the mundane.

This afternoon I put some things in the wash, hung up clothes in the closet, ran the dishwasher, etc. Exciting right? Yet, so many moments of our days are filled with these simple and routine tasks and they are always less than exciting. I suspect its either the repetative nature of them or the fact that there is no surprise or alternate ending to them. The clothes always end up where they are supposed to be, the dishes always end up clean. However, these things are necessary so we persist in doing them.

Sometimes I feel this way about writing. Maybe that is why I am so inconsistent in responses to emails or writing on this very blog. It is hard to make such simple tasks exciting to a myself, let alone a reader. Yet sometimes when you stop and take the time to look and think about these little tasks, there is some interest that might be had.

I was sorting through my closet, and realized I had some pretty old sets of clothes in there. The first thing that struck me is that I should probably discard of some of them and give them to the Salvation Army. However the second thing that struck me is that some of them are from when I was back in High School. I still have a number of my button down dress shirts from them, and that is just crazy. I never wear the stuff anymore, but to think I have moved countless times taking those things with me, and its always like that when I move. I find some small piece of my past that I held on to. Often has little value than to contain the essence of a memory long forgotten. Still some of these tokens I still pack up gently as if they are prized possessions even if the person or place they represent are long gone figures of my past.

These simple and yet often unimportant trinkets hold the key to a thought, a feeling, a memory of someone or something I once cared for or still do. Anyway it was a nice moment of reflection, that I hope to run into again along my regular daily path. And who knows, I might just add a few things along the way.

I hope all my friends and family out there are safe and blessed. I care deeply for you all.

No comments: