Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Would you rather....

A game that has been played in movies and television shows alike. A game that you likely have played at home or with friends. Often times, it is more of a pick the less of two evil scenarios, but I had a question rolling around in my head the last few days that was its own conceptual would I rather...

If I were to write a novel or screenplay, would I rather write a popular smash hit of questionable quality, a deep hitting award winning story you will watch once and never want to struggle through again, or a novel concept that never took off but the work was still quality? What spurred this thought was watching a film that didn't receive any great reviews but I enjoyed none the less. I started to think about other films I've seen.

Three great examples of films like these are Armageddon, Million Dollar Baby, and Memento. All films I've watched and enjoyed for various reasons, but none for the same reason.



Now on one hand, Armageddon had mass appeal with a star studded lineup and sound track. It was a wonderful summer film and is still shown constantly on television. I can't imagine the amount of money and residuals that were spawned by this film. Furthermore it is completely rewatchable for its entertainment value, but no one is walking home with year end awards from this one.

On the other hand you have a film like Million Dollar Baby which was an emotionally gut wrenching film that I wouldn't wish on anyone to watch more than once. The sheer and raw pain and agony portrayed in the film is wonderfully done, but not something you go to bed happy about viewing.

Finally is Memento which I found a fascinating concept and well put together from a writing standpoint. It wasn't flashy and lacked the emotional depth of some stories, but it was very well conceived. The imaginative nature of the concept should receive praise, and although it will long be forgotten over time, I imagine the creator was happy with his end product.

So what would I want to put my name on? Usually once you get good at something that becomes your "thing." So if you had to be type cast in that which you produce, which would you choose? It a thought that has been rolling around in my head lately, and I don't have my answer yet. But it's fun to think about.

No comments: